What is the Day of Action?
The Virginia Food Access Network (VFAN) inaugural Day of Action is a way to come together as a food community to promote access to healthy food in the Commonwealth.
Our goals are to:
• Raise awareness of organizations in Virginia working to increase food access in an effort to improve nutrition and end hunger.
• Encourage Virginians to get involved in the promoting food access and the fight against hunger by facilitating volunteer opportunities across the Commonwealth.
How can we get involved?
Plan and host an event! For some groups, organizing your day of action event may simply be to draw attention to what you are already doing to promote healthy food. For others, your day of action event may be a special activity or spotlight for that day.
Ideas for events include:
• Plan an event to plant a school or community garden
• Host gleaning at a local farm
• Provide nutrition education at a community event
• Organize a local event to highlight food insecurity
• Fundraise for a community group working to increase food access
• Partner with a local school
• And more!
How do I get volunteers to my event?
Starting later this summer, the Office of the First Lady will be providing tools for outreach to your networks and beyond to advertise the day to the public. There will be PSAs, social media promotions, and more! Volunteers will be able to see all of the Day of Action events on www.vfan.org